It goes without saying that ROI is crucial to consider when it comes to mobile commerce application development. It’s easy enough for your CEO to think about that but s/he is often not the one in the trenches trying to oversee the building of the thing. Still, if ROI is not one of the top priorities, the mobile commerce application will mostly likely not be a success, and that’s when you’ve got a real problem. (Try explaining that big spend when the app fails…) There are several points to consider to ensure the application maximizes ROI while remaining easily usable for customers. Here’s a roundup of five no-brainers that will help you ensure ROI from your app.
1. Use In-App Ads. While in-app ads can help monetize a new app, it is critical to be sure the ads are not interfering with the important features of the app. Emphasizing those important features of the app should help minimize this issue.
2. Maximize visibility of important buttons. We can’t underestimate this one. If the mobile commerce application has deposit, download, purchase or transfer buttons that are the portals for bringing in revenue, make sure users can see them. Make all transaction processes simple and just as importantly, quick.
3. Keep it similar to the parent site. Customers who use the main e-commerce site are familiar with the design and features they interact with there. To minimize confusion and maximize incoming business, keep the layout as similar as possible to the parent site. Consistency in things like color, font and nav button titles is a must.
4. Make it compatible with multiple mobile platforms. As smart phones and electronic devices continue evolving, so do new platforms. It is crucial to be familiar with them and make the apps compatible with as many mobile platforms as possible. Ice cream sandwich anyone? And yes, if you don’t get that reference you need to brush up on your mobile platform knowledge.
5. Allow connections to social media sites. Give customers the opportunity to complete mobile reviews that they may share on Facebook, Twitter or other social media sites with one simple step. When they share the information and reviews with their friends, it’s free advertising for your company and your m-commerce app. Plus there’s always the chance something could go viral – the ultimate social gold.
And of course remember: to make these five steps successful for mobile commerce application development, always track the progress of the app. Be sure to encourage customer feedback about the app to determine what must be changed, added or removed. Your customers will surprise you with their insight.